Deciding which auto imports over the last several decades are the best is a fairly subjective endeavor. While quality, dependability, safety, and aesthetic factors all play a part in deciding which auto imports are the best, personal preference always prevails as the deciding factor. The list of cars featured below are some of the highest-rated imports ever produced. They rank high for safety, fuel efficiency, quality, durability, and sheer elegance. While a reader may disagree with the list selection, what they will not disagree with is the indisputable fact that these 5 cars represent some of the best ever produced.
- 1988-1991 Honda CRX – This two-seater beauty might just be the most fuel-efficient and environmentally friendly sports car ever made. The SI model gets nearly 45 miles per gallon, despite having a snappy 1.8-liter engine. The engine is extremely cheap to maintain and will last decades if it is taken care of properly.
- 1983-1992 Volkswagen Golf Mk2 – This German phenom represents the very best of all worlds. The Golf MK2 is aesthetically beautiful, fuel-efficient, extremely durable, very safe, and is known to be able to rack up hundreds of thousands of miles before any major engine overhaul is required. You cannot go wrong with an MK2 Golf.
- 1993-2002 Toyota Supra – The 6-speed twin-turbo model of this generation’s Supra can hang with a Ferrari or Lamborghini in raw performance. It packs 330 horsepower and can reach a top speed of 160 mph.
- 1992-1999 BMW M3 – The moment a person sits down in this M3 model they can feel the quality of the car. The M3 feels extremely solid and well built, yet it is powerful and very light on its feet. This masterpiece of German engineering can hit 60 mph in just 4.8 seconds.
- 1989-2000 Nissan 300ZX – This 2-door sports car was extremely popular across the world. Pushing a V6 3.0-liter engine, the car is so fast that is feels like it possesses a V8 twin-turbo. The 285 horsepower engine is capable of hitting 60 mph in just 7.5 seconds. During its day it was one of the fastest and best-handling Japanese sports cars on the market.